DALLAS STATS AND FUN FACTS
Find interesting facts about Dallas, including trivia, history, facts for kids, and the Dallas Cowboys.
Dallas is the 9th largest city in the US and the third largest in Texas with a population of 1,281,047.
Metropolitan Statistical Area
The Dallas-Fort Worth Arlington MSA consists of 12 counties: Collin, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant and Wise and has a population of 6,954,330. The Dallas-Plano-Irving MD (metropolitan division) is slightly smaller with a population of 4,604,097and is composed of 8 counties: Collin, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Hunt, Kaufman and Rockwall.
Dallas is located in the Central Time Zone in North Central Texas, 35 miles east of Fort Worth, 245 miles north, northwest of Houston and 300 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.
Taxes (Sales, Hotel Occupancy)
Sales – 8.25%; Hotel Occupancy – 13%
24.9 million annual visitors to the City of Dallas, with 48.9 million visiting the Metro area
There are more than 30,000 hotel rooms in the city of Dallas; with over 78,000 available throughout the area.
Dallas is centrally located and within a four-hour flight from most North American destinations. It is served by two airports; Dallas/Ft. Worth International and Dallas Love Field that combined provide more than 2,200 flights daily. AMTRAK also provides daily service to Dallas via Union Station.
|Austin, TX||195||3 hours|
|Fort Worth, TX||30||40 min.|
|Houston, TX||240||4 hours|
|Kansas City, MO||489||8½ hours|
|Little Rock, AR||320||5 hours|
|Memphis, TN||452||8½ hours|
|New Orleans, LA||520||8 hours|
|Oklahoma City, OK||207||3½ hours|
|San Antonio, TX||275||4½ hours|
|Shreveport, LA||187||3 hours|
|Texarkana, TX||180||3 hours|
|Topeka, KS||501||8 hours|
|Tulsa, OK||258||4½ hours|
|Wichita, KS||363||6 hours|
Average annual snow days: 1.3
Average rain days: 81 days
The Dallas area is home to 21 Fortune 500 companies including Exxon Mobil, JC Penney, AT&T, Texas Instruments, and others.
Sports & Recreation
Dallas is home to five professional sports teams: The Dallas Cowboys (NFL); Dallas Stars (NHL); Dallas Mavericks (NBA); Dallas Wings (WNBA); FC Dallas (MLS) and the Texas Rangers (MLB) plus NASCAR and Indy racing. The area is also home to more than 200 golf courses.
DALLAS FUN FACTS
- The frozen margarita machine was invented in Dallas
- The integrated circuit computer chip (which became the microchip) was invented in Dallas in 1958
- The 52 foot ‘Big Tex’ statue that greets visitors at the annual State Fair of Texas is the tallest cowboy in Texas.
- With the roof enclosed, the entire Statue of Liberty could fit into the Cowboys Stadium.
- During the winter holiday season, the Galleria Dallas is home to the country’s tallest indoor Christmas tree.
- The largest permanent model train exhibit in the country is on display in the lobby of Dallas Children’s Medical Center.
- The Dallas Arts District is the largest urban arts district in the United States.
- The Trinity River Corridor Project, when completed, will be more than 10 times the size of New York’s Central Park.
- Highland Park Village Shopping Center, developed in 1931 has the distinction of being the first planned shopping center in America.
- The first convenience store, 7-eleven, got its start in Dallas and the corporation is headquartered there today.
- Lamar Hunt, founder of the American Football League and son of oil tycoon H.L. Hunt, was a noted Dallas resident when he coined the phrase ‘Super Bowl’.
- A few celebrities from the area: Angie Harmon, Luke and Owen Wilson, Nastia Luikin, Lee Trevino, Norah Jones, Erykah Badu, Jessica Simpson
- A few of the movies/TV series filmed in the area: Dallas; Silkwood; Places in the Heart; RoboCop; Born on the Fourth of July; Walker, Texas Ranger; Prison Break (more listed at http://www.dallasfilmcommission.com/)
- The Dallas area is the largest metropolitan area in the nation not on a navigable body of water.
- The Dallas-Fort Worth Arlington Metroplex is the No. 1 visitor and leisure destination in Texas.
- The Dallas Public Library permanently displays one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence, printed on July 4, 1776, and the First Folio of William Shakespeare’s “Comedies, Histories & Tragedies.”
- The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is home to 23 of the richest Americans.